Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Bulgogi (Korean Barbecue), Yangnyum Kanjang (Bulgogi Sauce) and Kim Chi

I ventured into the realm of Korean food with an real sense of ignorance.  Though my community is bustling with Korean restaurants, I can honestly say that I have never been brave enough to venture in and try their delicacies.  I'm not quite sure why I have been so reluctant.  Most local Asian establishments find my husband and me partaking of their edibles quite often; and yet, Korea has remained an elusive host of many unknown delights. 

Truthfully, the one dish from Korea for which I have been previously acquainted is bulgogi.  Better known as Korean barbecue, bulgogi is simply beef that has been heavily marinated in a rich and simple sauce, then cooked to its crispiest peak over a flaming grill.  Simple.  All folks who love a good steak are familiar with the practice.

So, I tried to make this dish on my own and found it to be simple, easy and (most importantly) tasty.  This is how I did it:

Ingredients:
2 lb. lean beef
1/2 cup light soy sauce
1/4 cup dark soy sauce
1/2 cup water
3 Tbsp. finely chopped green onion
2-3 tsp. crushed garlic
2 tsp. finely minced fresh ginger
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. white sesame seeds, toasted and ground
1 Tbsp. sesame oil

Instructions:

  1. Cut the beef across the grain in very thin slices, then cut into narrow strips.  In a glass dish, mix all remaining ingredients together.  Add the beef and stir thoroughly.  Cover and let marinate for at least three hours.
  2. Heat grill or tabletop broiler.  Cook until well cooked.  Dip in sauce when eating.  Serve with rice.
The accompanying sauce (yangnyum kanjang) is just as important as the bulgogi itself.  Another easy recipe, here is how it's made:

Ingredients:
1/4 cup light soy sauce
1-2 Tbsp. water
1 Tbsp. rrice wine or Chinese brown vinegar
1 Tbsp. finely chopped green onions
1/2 tsp. crushed garlic
1/2 - 1 1/2 tsp. chili sauce
1 1/2 tsp. white sesame seeds, toasted and ground

Instructions:
  1. Mix all ingredients and divide the sauce among several small dishes.  It ccan be prepared up to a day in advance and stored in a covered container in the refrigerator.
(Recipes from Asia: The Beautiful Cookbook by Jacki Passmore - Harper Collins Publishers, 1992)

Of course, no Korean meal of this type would be complete without kim chi - it is, after all, the national dish of North Korea!  However, with that said, I decided not to try to make it myself (even though I did find a recipe for it) because of my awareness for the fact that "good" kim chi goes through a fermentation process that couldn't be easily duplicated at home.

It might seem like an opportunity missed, not making kim chi from scratch.  You could call me crazy for passing on the chance.  Some might think I deserve banishment from the world of "real" cooks because of it.  But, oh well.  I have learned, over the years, to pick my battles wisely.  And, since pickled spicy cabbage is not something I really basked in trying, I figured it would be easier to buy a small batch than to make a large one.  Yes, the Koreans love it - I am not so fond.  However, may I say that I'm glad to have tried it.  Finally.  And, I look forward to finding out more of what Korea (the North, specifically, for this month) has to offer.

1 comment:

  1. So cool that you are doing this Cindy. By the ingrediants alone this sounds great and is making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete