Monday, January 18, 2010

Country-of-the-Month Challenge

Recently I was struck by the idea that my family needed some sort of push into the educational realm.  Of course, I'm not trying to insinuate that we're complete slouches who abhor the thought of learning (though the T.V. is on in our house more times than I would like to admit).  Quite the contrary!  My husband stockpiles useless trivia in his mind for the sole purpose of self-satisfaction.  He can rattle off the names of obscure '80's bands and cameo appearances of long-deceased actors like nobody's business!  My two-year old daughter takes pride in recognizing the letters of the alphabet and the colors of the rainbow (at least, the ones she knows). 

And, as for me, I have always been a bookworm.  I love to read (that is, when I get a chance - most parents will agree that such opportunities are few and far between).  Once upon a time, I would go through books in much the same way as mice go through cheese.  Prolific in my need for the written word, I was particularly fond of history.  I would engross myself in one historical period at a time until I felt I could recite its details, forwards, backwards, inside and out.

These days, however, I am more geared toward the recitation of "Goodnight Moon" or "Green Eggs and Ham."  Not that I don't love the whimsical qualities of these pieces.  Or the fact that I have read them so many times that it feels as though they are perpetually traveling on the synaptic freeway of my mind.  It's just that I would like to be able to know more about the world.  Not just the predominantely red and green world of Margaret Wise Brown or the vividly pastel world of Dr. Seuss.  The real world.  The technicolor world.  The world that far reaches outside of my own little microcosm.  But how? 

Simply, I decided that each month we would pick, at random, a new country of the world to study.  With great excitement, I told my husband about my concept.  I explained that we would get a chance to learn about the history, the culture, the state of political affairs of each nation...yadda yadda yadda...and, just like that, I could already see his eyes glazing over, slowly switching from my gaze back toward the all-too-familiar television. I was losing him.   And then I mentioned food. 

Yes, we could partake of different foods!  New cuisines.  An entirely new culinary experience (for our little kitchen, anyway).  Of course that would create more work for me, more challenges, more hassle; but, it would be a welcome change if the results were in the slightest way as interesting as I had hoped.  What better way to learn about the world than through food?!  What better way to educate than on a full and happy stomach?!  An open mind and an open palate was all I asked for.  Aside from that, the rules were pretty simple:

1.  We would select a new country each month.  Random only - no favoritism.
2.  For the chosen country of the month, we would be obligated to try at least one appetizer, one dinner entree and one dessert. 
3.  Of course, learning about the country would be a part of the process; but, in order for it to stick, it would have to be thrown into conversation naturally.  No preaching.  No lecturing.  No reading to disinterested parties.  The learning would predominantely be done by me and I would then siphon any interesting details on to my family. 

And now for the hard part...  Aside from the research, organization and execution of this process, I have taken it upon myself to start noting our trials and tribulations, our successes and struggles, and all of the little things in between that make this a true learning experience.  My hope is that we will walk away from this challenge with cultural awareness, broad horizons and, of course, a whole new world of culinary options.  With that said, did I mention that I only recently really started cooking?!

No comments:

Post a Comment