Sunday, January 31, 2010

Pupusas Con Queso - Round One

Pupusas.  Though I grew up in a predominantly Hispanic neighborhood, I never knew exactly what they were.  I always thought that the word, in and of itself, was less than appetizing and drew on connotations of the pupae stage of metamorphosis.  Being linked to such things in my mind therefore forced me to dismiss it as a food option and rule it forever inedible.  Even more ridiculously, years back, there was a restaurant a few miles from our home called "Pupusaton."  My mother and I would often joke about how they were the pupus of Satan (whatever the heck a "pupu" was).  Evil and disgusting.  It was something I would most assuredly always pass on.  Until now.

Apparently, in the Latin culture of food (Honduras, of course, being no exception), pupusas could be compared to something similar to a grilled cheese sandwich for Americans.  Buttery, greasy, grilled comfort food - they really are something worthy of trying (once you get over the name - only assuming you're odd like me and have problems with things like that).

The recipe I tried was said to be an authentic Honduran recipe.  It was fairly straight-forward.  No bells and whistles.

Ingredients:

2 cups masa harina
1 cup of water
1/3 cup of shredded queso fresco or mozzarella cheese

Instructions:
  1. Using a mixer, or your hands, combine the masa harina with enough water to make a pliable dough.
  2. Take a piece of the dough, about the size of two golf balls, and flatten it with your hand.
  3. Place about 1 tablespoon of cheese on top of the flat dough, then fold the sides up over the cheese until it is covered.
  4. Flatten the dough again. The cakes shouldn't be more than a few inches tall.
  5. Spray a flat grill with enough oil to keep the pupusas from sticking. Cook the pupusas over medium heat for about 3 minutes on each side, or until they are brown. It is ok if the cheese oozes out.
Just masa, water and cheese.  A side note about the cheese - queso fresco is apparently the most "authentic" type of cheese to use; however, it is very difficult to grate.  Mozzarella might be an easier choice in the long run.  The taste isn't much different and, it's also easier to find, depending on where you live. 

Another thing I learned - cooking spray is not the same as butter.  Use butter, I beg you!  It will add so much more of a rich taste to the pupusa.  Though I don't necessarily agree with Paula Deen's culinary style, she is right about one thing - "butter makes everything better."  Yes, unhealthy but true. 


My first attempt at this seemingly simple food was not quite what I had hoped only because I was lacking butter, jalapenos and a few spices. Next time, with the addition of these things, I think I might have found a new favorite snack food. If only they were called something else....





No comments:

Post a Comment